Friday 28 September 2012

Get Dug In

Woking Palace as it is likely to have looked in the 1530s

For many years I had wanted to go on an archaeological dig.  I had never managed to find one so imagine my delight when I learnt there was a dig available right on my doorstep.  In 2011 I became aware for the first time of the annual dig at Woking Palace in Old Woking.  The palace was occupied or visited at various times by Henry VII and Henry VIII.  It came to the monarchs after being owned by Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII and a key player in the history of the Middle Ages.

Digs are run under the guidance of Surrey archaeological experts.  Volunteers can be experienced diggers from local archaeological societies or local residents either digging for the first time or returning having got the bug in previous years. I was pleased to learn that local schools had the chance to visit and do some excavation this year and several primary schools appear to have had a great time on site.

I have had fabulous days on my digs.  It is an amazing feeling to be uncovering structures from the 1500s or even earlier (it is believed there was an earlier Medieval construction on the palace site )  You are sitting and bending in an uncomfortable position so you do tend to ache after the event  - but it is all worth it.  Sad to say I have yet to find any gold coins, attractive floor tiles or precious jewellery.  In 2011 I found lots of loose bricks and a few roof tiles.  This year I found some roof tiles, a couple of small pieces of pottery and I uncovered part of a wall.

Results of this year's digging are on show at Woking Palace this Sunday.  It is your only chance to see what has been uncovered this year before the soil and grass goes back on again.  I will definitely be along there to see how the digging progressed after I had my day on site early in the dig.  If you would like to see a little of Woking's history head along to the site in Old Woking between 10am and 4pm this Sunday 30 September.  Open day details

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.