Sunday 4 November 2012

The miracle of Pares Woodland Garden


On Saturday I visited Pares Woodland Garden in Horsell for the first time.  It is located on the hill behind Horsell village, close to the Pares Close flats and behind the houses in the closes off Meadway Drive.

I had known for some time that a local resident, Tony Noel, wanted to improve this overgrown area.  What I hadn't realised until Saturday was quite how large an area was involved.  I was familiar with the site on top of the hill but had no idea how far it went back or indeed that there were natural pathways behind the mass of holly and bramble that covered the area.



Tony had asked me several years ago if local schools would be interested to take on the site as a wildlife garden but the response from schools was that it was too much to take on when they had their own wildlife areas on site.  It took the Second Thursday Club to run with Tony's vision.  This loose collection of Horsell residents meet, as the name suggests, on the second Thursday of each month.  The group considers proposals for community action in the area and Tony's woodland garden has become one of their projects.  Other project, either current or in the pipeline, are a Christmas shopping evening in Horsell village on 30 November, regular litter picks, a choir and aiding a local resident with a small preserve making business.


Volunteers have done an amazing job so far on clearing Pares Woodland Garden.  I am sure it will become a fantastic amenity for Horsell.  I only had chance to drop by and take a look at progress this week.  I hope to go back on a future weekend and make my contribution to the miracle that is Pares Woodland Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.