Saturday 13 April 2013

To Surrey and beyond ...

After being a Woking borough councillor representing Horsell for 7 years I am taking a big step and putting myself forward as a candidate for Surrey County Council.  Elections take place on Thursday 2 May.

County 'divisions' are larger than borough 'wards' so I will be going beyond my current area of Horsell West and looking to become county councillor for the Goldsworth East and Horsell Village division.  This is an area that starts where Chobham Road meets Brewery Road. It runs through Horsell, taking in side roads along Church Hill and the High Street and up to the Cricketers and Horsell Birch.  Claydon Road (opposite Squires garden nursery), Carthouse Lane and two bits of roads in Chobham are outlying parts of the area. Heading up Bullbeggars the Goldsworth East patch begins on Sythwood, taking in the Lakeview estate and roads around Waitrose and the central area of Goldsworth Park.  It also covers Goldsworth Road, roads on the Goldsworth side of St John's Road and parts of the town centre.  All in all a diverse area.

Surrey has re-drawn its boundaries this year so the division for which I am standing is partly represented by two county councillors at the moment, neither of whom is standing for this seat.

Over my time as a borough councillor I have increasingly been asked about matters relating to Surrey Council.  Residents want to raise concerns about roads (especially potholes), traffic problems, social services and education and often come to me as their borough councillor.  It seemed a logical step to seek to formally take on these responsibilities - if this is the will of the electorate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my posts.